Formerly, established as "FAO/WHO Middle East Brucellosis Center" within Etlik Veterinary Bacteriology Institute in 1951, has moved to Pendik Veterinary Bacteriology Institute under the name of Brucella abortus Laboratory in 1957. Brucella abortus S19 vaccine has started to be produced in 1960. Brucella Melitensis Laboratory has started its activities within FAO's Sheep Diseases Research Laboratories in 1965 and Brusella mellitensis Rev.1 vaccine has started to be produced in 1969. These two laboratories merged in 1983 and work as Brucella Reference Diagnostic and Vaccine Production Laboratory nowadays.
Conjunctival Brucella vaccines developed by our experts in 2011 are being produced and 100% of the vaccines are served programmed as required by our country under the scope of "Brucellosis Eradication Program" carried out by the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry. Besides the production of conjunctival Brucella vaccines, diagnostic antigens (RBPT, SAT, MRT), Brucella abortus anti-serum, monospesific anti A and anti M sera are produced due to our country's needs. Serological diagnosis of Brucellosis, biotyping and monitoring of Brucella species circulating in the field in our country are conducted.
The laboratory trains researchers engaging in the diagnosis of Brucellosis from different national and international laboratories and university students. Organizing domestic Inter-laboratory Proficiency Tests (ILPT) in certain intervals between veterinary control institutes (VCIs) is another activity of the laboratory.